The main goal of a search engine is to show the person searching the most relevant results to what they are searching for, they do this by providing free (organic) results combined with paid advertisements and allow the person searching to choose from either of those results.
Even though businesses pay to list thier website within the paid search results, Search Engines still want to make sure that the person searching only see’s ads relevant to what they searched for, no matter how much the advertiser may have paid.
What this has done, has allowed small businesses and brands that dont have huge marketing budgets compete on a level playing feild to their larger competitors as the results arent shown on who has the most money – they get shown on who has the most relevant results – great!
So how does search advertising (ppc) work?
Search Engine Advertising is also known as Pay per Click (PPC) advertising, Paid Placement, Google AdWords, Microsoft Ad Center or display advertising, even though there are multiple PPC vendors, they all operate on a similar principle;
- You choose your target audience and identify what they are looking for.
- You decide on the keywords you want to target with your advertisement.
- You put together an ad with a link to your website that users will follow when they click on the link.
- You decide on the budget for your campaign and the amount that you are willing to pay for a person to click on your ad when the ad appears.
- The search engine will decide whether to display your ad based on the keywords entered by the user, how relevant your site and ad is to the search and the amount you have bid for the keywords.
- If your ad is displayed and the user clicks on the ad, you will charged the bid amount.
- Once you exceed your predefined daily budget, your ads will no longer be displayed.
One of the key benefits of Search Engine Advertising is that because your ad is only displayed when the user enters predefined keywords, you know your ads are being delivered to an audience that is specifically interested in what you are advertising, so the traffic that the ads direct to your website is pre-qualified.
There are a few tricks of the trade to know when setting up a Search Advertising campaign, but luckily for you we have done the hard yards already and know how to run a cost effective, well optimised search advertising campaign.
If you are ready to start generating leads online today, why not give us a call?